Enjoy this warming chickpea stew that is perfect for chilly winter days.
Chickpeas are a good vegetarian source for protein. They are also known as garbanzo beans and belong to the legume family along with lentils and peas. They are rich in folate, fiber, iron, phosphorus and copper.
Chickpeas can be also be used in salads, curries and when you make yourown hummus.They are available year round as dried or canned.
To make things super easy for yourself, start with organic canned chickpeas from EDEN. (Most grocery stores carry this brand.) Eden products are a good choice. They cook their beans/legumes the correct way (pre-soak them and use kombu seaweed + filtered water). They also line their cans so they are all BPA free.
Chickpea Veggie Stew
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 small onions or leeks, trimmed, rinsed and minced
- 1-2 Tbsp curry powder
- ¾# butternut squash, peeled and medium diced
- 1 zucchini, med large, medium dice
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 12 oz frozen peas
- 2, 14 oz cans coconut milk (Native Forest)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- Sea salt
- ½ cup toasted cashew nuts, chopped
- 2 each scallions, minced
- ¼ cup coconut toasted
- Heat large pot and add oil.
- Saute onions and garlic for a few minutes until leeks begin to wilt.
- Add curry powder and stir, toast curry lightly, being careful not to burn.
- Add diced butternut squash and sauté a few minutes.
- Add coconut milk, water and salt to sautéed vegetables. Bring mixture to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and chickpeas to pot and simmer until vegetables are just tender.
- Right before serving add peas, basil and cilantro.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Garnish each dish with toasted cashew nuts on the top.
- Serve other garnishes in small bowls on the side so guests can help themselves.
Join my Winter Cleanse program and enjoy a week of warming stews, soups. herbal teas, elixirs, seasonal vegetables etc. while cleansing and nourishing your body, soul and mind.
Take advantage of the Early Bird Special that ends on Monday January 18th.
Click here to grab your spot.